Climate Change is (hopefully) not a new term to you, but what about when it comes to Climate Action. Have you heard this dropped in your conversations? Do you really (I mean really) know what it means?
Don’t worry if you’re feeling a little lost - I was there too! Which is why I have an 'easy to digest' break down of what Climate Action is and how you can help.
(Image from Markus Spiske via Pinterest)
The Earth's climate system is at the core of evolution. It affects the development of nature as well as that of human life. When this is disrupted by change (no matter how big or small), the whole system feels the impact. Our not-so-favourite term, Climate Change, can be used to describe this process. Due to our collective actions as human beings, greenhouse gas emissions are causing a little bit of chaos with rising global temperatures and changing weather patterns. It is a process that is unfortunately set in motion; it cannot be reversed. BUT that doesn’t mean we should just give up, because it CAN be slowed so that the impact it has on our beautiful mother earth and us as the human race, is limited!
And this is where Climate Action comes in.
In 2015, the United Nations established 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s) to help the world fight Climate Change. You can read more about them here.
Climate Action is number 13.
Its focus is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve the world's capacity to be resilient against Climate Change. This includes introducing climate-focused policies to governments, providing education (it really is key), and creating awareness for the urgency of this threat. Climate Change doesn’t differ between what you look like or where you live. It impacts every single person in our global community. So now that you know WHAT Climate Action is, HOW can you help?
(Image from Jenn Collins via Pinterest)
Below are eight accessible and attainable actions that we can all take to do our part in the fight against Climate Change:
- Say no to plastic where you can (you’re human, just like us! So we’ll do our best if you do yours)
- Eat less meat. Get creative with your meals - like our blog on 3 ways to serve falafel at a dinner party!
- Use less water - yes this means spending a little less time daydreaming in the shower (you can do that… anywhere else)
- Say hello to public transport
- Reduce, reuse, upcycle - just take a breath before throwing something out. You never know what you might be able to repurpose it for.
- Embrace walking, or biking, or both!
- Plant your own vege and herb garden - we have a blog for that too!
- Speak up!
We are in this together. No matter if your uncle is a non-believer or your cousins with Greta. Start the conversation, encourage everyone (including yourself) to get educated, and act with mother earth in mind.